Monday, September 29, 2008

Days off are the best, eh?

This blog ain't dead yet, folks! As mentioned earlier, I haven't been able to really write recreatively for a while because of the fact that my schedule is currently a clusterfuck of classes with lots of homework (thanks, counsler!). Now I finally have a day off, and there's things to talk about.

First of all, what the fuck am I supposed to about Mega Man 9? I happen to have the means to download it from all three of the consoles' download services, but I don't know which controller I want to throw at the wall ( and now that wireless is standard, controller throwing is a more viable option ). I know for a fact that it won't be the 360, mostly because 2D platformers and analog sticks don't mix, and the D-pad is for choosing weapons and other non-active things. It really comes down to the D-pad of the PS3 and Wii. I really like the PS3 one better, but not getting a retro Mega Man game on a Nintendo system seems like...I don't know, like I punched someone who gave me something in the face. Regardless, I need to get it, because of Protoman.

Next, on all those Street Fighter 4 videos. While I'm actually suprised that Capcom would go so far as to create a never-coming-out-for-real anime to promote the game, I don't feel like I needed them to get hyped up for this. The scenes are really a bunch of nonsense that is supposed to set up the story, but If you're really looking to a fighting game to deliver top-notch storytelling, you're getting off on the wrong foot here. Whenever you do pop in the game, you'll have a backstory, but that won't stop you from not being able to make anything coherent out of what you'll be presented with in the actual game. Now, it's possible that maybe this will be the fighting game that presents us with story worth telling and not just s framework around which to fight your fellow enthusiasts, but I think these videos are setting people up for disappointment.

Finally, I'm going to group the last to bits of info I'm going to talk about because they're more or less the same thing: The Halo Keep It Clean trailer and Metal Gear Solid Existence being trademarked. In all honesty, they can be summed it up by the following statement: Fans want more, companies will give it to them. Now, while nothing has been revealed about MGSE, I'm more than certain it will be Metal Gear Solid 4's Subsistence, and most of the fan hype is akin to what people were speculating about what Brawl characters were going to be in the game, only to be dissapointed by a great roster. The Halo video is much the same thing, except it gives to only a little more, which is kinda sad, seeing as how MGSE wasn't even supposed to be a news item, since there was no press release and it was just Konami trademarking the name, and Keep It Clean was supposed to be a juicy tidbit. As for what Halo is, it's a Campaign expansion, or at least that seems obvious if you watched the video, but that won't stop fanboys from thinking it's something more than that.

Peace

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Suriel, that's a good point you made about the story in Street Fighter IV. Honestly I don't care all that much about the story... what matters most is if the game plays amazing (and by the looks of it, it does).

I noticed you mentioned you have all 3 gaming systems... I imagine there are some readers of your site who don't have all 3 yet. I work with Stacker 2 and we've got this contest going on right now where entrants have a shot at winning a PS3 or Xbox 360 (winner's choice). Right now there are less than 400 entrants, and we were wondering if you would be interested in helping spread the word by making a post about the contest. You can check it out here: http://www.brickfish.com/Entertainment/Stacker2?tab=overview

Let me know if you're interested and I'd be happy to send you some more info and materials for a post. You might also want to still enter the contest since there are weekly prizes to win such as the upcoming Codemasters game Rise of the Argonauts. I'll definitely vote for your design if you enter, too. I hope to hear back from you soon. Thanks, and have a great day.

Franklin Keane
www.6hrpower.com
Franklin6hrpower@gmail.com