Tuesday, February 15, 2011

He's Just the Goddamn Batman

I like Batman. Superheros are usually some of the most ludicrous stories you'll encounter, especially considering that so many have been ingrained in our culture. Batman, though still somewhat unbelievable, at least seems plausible. Sure, he's a billionaire with a seemingly unlimited amount of time and resources, but it's easier for people to believe that if they had all that money, and his access to all that tech, that they'd be that cool. I can get behind that. Batman's a nerd who works out.

But recently, I've heard a lot of people going out of their way to praise Batman's strengths, to the point of the absurd. I couldn't point to a specific example, but I remember several conversations involving character match-ups that included Batman. And often enough, Batman would win against anyone who wasn't divine or something like The Beyonder, by reason of his intellect. The defining argument was always that Batman would use his intellect to get out of any situation.

I can't get behind the fact that sheer intellect would allow Batman anyone within reason. I can't allow situations like Batman being at a party with a sniper in a surrounding building where Batman would win. Almost instantly, defenders assume that Batman would somehow figure out he's there, excuse himself and take care of someone like, say, Crossbones. Intellect is one thing, but there's simply no way Batman would be able to figure something like that out, provided Crossbones wasn't an idiot.

This is probably the dumbest, most nit-picky and nerd post I've ever made, but it does bother me that Batman gets away with so much just for being smart. When I tell people the story of Batman R.I.P. a common reaction is "That's stupid, there's no way Batman would lose like that. He'd find a way around it or something." Dude no he wouldn't! He's a fucking dude!

...it makes me angry in a way I didn't think was possible.

No comments: