Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Netflix queue

I have a ton of movies on my Netflix instant streaming queue as well as my DVD queue. I've already come to terms with the fact that I'll never be able to watch them all, so I'm taking a more relaxed approach than I previously was. Before I'd find out which movies were set to expire next, then watch those (or at least try) before they expired. It worked for a while, but it ended up feeling like work. "You have to watch these movies now, or you'll never see them, and that would be a shame."

I enjoyed the movies less that way, so I stopped doing that. I'll watch a movie whenever I feel like it. Though this does mean that my movie-watching days are less frequent, it doesn't bother me too much. I'm blazing through The Wire -- finished season 2 earlier today -- so I don't feel like I'm behind on anything. I've written about this before, but the reason I'm probably better at watching shows than movies is probably because the chunks of time I have to dedicate to watching shows is less than that of movies which makes them more approachable.

But oddly enough, I'm starting to use the DVD queue to my advantage. After finishing up the first three seasons of Burn Notice, I've finally started watching movies. And when a movies just sitting there, waiting to be watched, I feel much more like watching it, because it feels like a waste of money to just leave it sitting there. I couldn't explain why, but this is an altogether different feeling from having to sit down and watch all those movies through streaming. Most likely, it's because the movies that come through the mail feel more like one-offs than a part of a collection of movies I have to see. This is been very beneficial for my movie-watching progress.

Now if only I had more time to read.

No comments: