Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Behind the Scenes: Ghost Trick Review

I wrote a review of Ghost Trick. I really liked it. You should read why.

I actually wrote two reviews for the game. The first was over 1000 words long, and went into a more anecdotal territory. Not that this is bad (my actual review does as well), but I didn't feel as though the particular anecdotes I was using were useful. There was a lot of repetition, and I explained the mechanics in more detail than I probably needed.

The other thing was that I wanted to forcefully limit myself. I can't entirely get behind the "as long as it needs to be" style of web reviews. Even when you have infinite space, I like concision. My Lost in Shadow review was 1000 words long, but I felt like that review was a bit tighter, though I could've cut out a couple things if I really had to. I write what I'd like to read, and I usually don't read a review longer than 1000 words, even if I'm interested in that person's opinion. I like reviews that can tell you everything you need to know without going too deep into how the game ticks. There are places for that, but not in reviews. People just need to know if they should buy something, not whether it's the greatest game ever made.

Anyway, I started my review over, and found that having a base to work from (what I thought about each part of the game) helped me summarize things more effectively. I liked the way the review turned out. Though sometimes I do feel like people who write much longer reviews are somehow better than me. But when I do it, it feels like a bad thing. I guess we'll see.

No comments: