Saturday, January 22, 2011

Music, Part Deux

Continuing from my last music post, I buckled and picked up the demo for FL Studio 9, a full music suite that comes with a bunch of sweet samples and amps for various instruments. I found it to be the most intuitive music software I've ever used. Most of the free stuff I've downloaded has been right down unusable to someone who's only getting started. FL Studio 9's demo lets you just place notes on a board and go, and I made several loops that I found catchy after messing around with different pitches, velocities, and mixes. I don't know if I've made anything worthy of a full song, but I did find myself listening to stuff I made longer than I probably should've.

But, unfortunately, I could only briefly flirt with the idea of releasing anything. The demo forces you to a very small board, and anything you saved can't be opened until you unlock the full version. Prices for the full version range from $50 for an express version, to $300 for the full pro bundle. Not to mention they advertise these price ranges every time you close the program.

At this point, I think I've found the software I'm most comfortable with. It's all a matter of whether I consider my interest in making music big enough to invest in it. I can't play a single instrument, so a software seems like the easiest -- and cheapest --  way to start. But I can't shake the feeling that without any actual instrumental backing, my songs would sound like a generic collection of claps, drum kicks, and piano loops. If I'm really serious about this, I guess it's time to pony up. I just don' know if I'm serious.

No comments: