Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Had A Great Day Today

Friend who I carpool home from school with's car broke down, so he got his grandpa to give him a ride there. Not really something I payed attention to when he told me. I assumed he had something lined up.

After school, he called a friend of his to give our three-person group a ride. His car broke down on the turning lane of 72nd and Dodge, pretty much the biggest intersection Omaha has. He was pushed by a cop car all the around the bend to a mall parking lot, where all four of us waited for a while until we talked to mall security to give us a jump start. Back in the mall parking lot, we waited for the car to start, which took long enough for my friend's mom (the one I carpool with) to take him to work, leaving the rest of us stranded.

Eventually, the car started, and rolled out of the parking lot. By the time we reached the next turn, the car shorted out on us again, but a quick turn of the ignition turned it on again. I knew it was a bad idea for anyone to drive like this, but I let it happen anyway because I just wanted to get home. We went a long way like this, turning the car on over and over again. Then the car stopped uphill and wouldn't restart, so we decided to cash out chips now and turn on the emergency lights.

After about twenty minutes of calling and texting various people to see if anyone of them could take us home/ tow our car, a stranger pulled over next in front of us and towed us to the gas station close by, after the rope he was using snapped once and was tied again.

He left for work while we waited at the gas station for help. The clerk didn't really mind us being there, but we were still anxious to get the hell out of there. After an hour and a half of unsuccessful calls, and unfruitful visits to the car to see if anything could be done (keep in mind it was 16F outside, so we canned a lot of explorations early), I reached my brother-in-law, who was able to head over.

The owner of the car needed a new battery, so we drove him to a place to get one, then dropped him off back at the gas station; he was waiting for someone to tow him to a shop. I bought him the battery, so dude owes me 114 bucks. I hope I see that money again.

Anyway, that's why I got home at 5:30 today.

No comments: