Thursday, January 13, 2011

Music

I've wanted to really dig into a music-making software program for a while now. I beatbox in the shower, and usually, stuff that wouldn't even be considered beatboxing by most people. I have these very simple rhythms and beats in my head all the time, and I often think to myself that I should try to learn how to make the stuff I'm thinking about actual music.

'Cept every time I seriously pursue this, most of the free software for this kind of stuff is incredibly intimidating. I usually listen to a lot the samples, and even the sample songs, which are usually pretty good. When I try to actually get something done, I get lost in all the pitch and time-changing with tones, and a bunch of other stuff I there's probably a name for. I can't make it too long before I realize what a colossal work goes into doing anything resembling a song that I hang it before too long.

There was a week or so where I contemplated just recording myself beatboxing several samples and then use Audacity, the one audio software I'm familiar with, to see if I can learn to make something. All of my recordings sounded terrible -- whether it was the Rock Band mic I was using or me I don't know for sure -- and I lost interest in that too.

I'd really like to experiment music, but all of the free stuff I can't handle and I can't dedicate myself enough to it to buy an actual machine. Any of you guys have suggestions for someone who's not very good with this sort of thing?

No comments: