Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I'm not a Media Expert

My Steam "Favorites" list, which I use to keep track of what games I haven't played but want to, is over twenty-five items long. My Netflix Queue is over 200. My Amazon Book and Music lists are expanding rapidly. And what am I doing with my last week of from school? Watching the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run on Giant Bomb.

You could call it procrastinating. It more or less is. But for me, telling myself that I have to play Braid, watch Blade Runner, read The Drunkard's Walk, and listen to London Calling is starting to feel like work. So I just do the "fun" thing and play games I've already played, listen to my iTunes library on shuffle, and read magazines while watching T.V. that's just there to be background noise. These enormous laundry lists are starting to pile up, so I should probably cut down and prioritize, since the intimidation of pure size is probably why I avoid them.

This comes from a side of me that believes I should be "Media Literate." My childhood was deprived ("deprived" my be too strong a word here) of some of the basic media experiences, and so I'd like to go back and catch up as much as a I can, to expand my point of reference. But I always wonder if I really need to.

If I really wanna watch Blade Runner, I'll do it at some point. Maybe there'll be a party. I mean, I'm doing a pretty good job of watching Burn Notice regularly (YOUCOULDSAYIMBURNINGTHROUGHITBOOM).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, you're exactly the same as myself, but instead of playing games, I just trade TF2 items.