Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Super Bowl: EVO 2K

Seems typical for someone with an affinity for video games to proclaim that the Evolution Championship Series would be their Super Bowl. That it'd be the thing that'd have me throwing fits and biting nails for a day like the average football fan does every year, but it's true. The same way people rave about that guy who did that thing that upset everybody in sports, I lose it when Lamerboi jumps into a Dragon Punch that he could've easily avoided. I would've loved to use a specific sports analogy to sound less dismissive, but I couldn't think of one. That's the kind of person I am.

I don't hate the people who take sports too seriously. They're annoying, sure. They can't help but ramble their brains off opining to me things I really could care about. They assume everyone they meet immerses themselves in the sports culture -- they're probably right most of the time anyway -- and so have no barrier, don't question or gauge people's interest. The dismiss people with obsessions on the same level as theirs for lacking focus in the right direction. They generalize people with different interests as I much I am right now. I'm letting off a bit of steam, and I apologize.

But at a fundamental level, I can relate to them. I can't get invested in watching teams and people face off in a real ring, but when it's a digital one, and people are throwing fireballs and doing other impossible things, I'm there. I think it's likely because I can more easily identify with a desire to be like the people I'm watching. I don't want to play any sport well or win an actual fight, but I'd like to be able to pull of some of the insane combo's Daigo can pull off while holding the same stoic look. I actually play Street Fighter, so obviously I'd be more inclined to watch people do something I do.


I've watched that match in its entirety three times. The same way people salivate over amazing replays. And I can't wait for next year's final either. So I can understand the insufferable amount of sports talk I'm going to hear until and after the Super Bowl. And I understand why I won't be able to do the same when EVO rolls around. I'll wish I could, though.

No comments: